THIS EVENT HAS TAKEN PLACE
For thirty years, from the late 1840s until the garden's closure in 1877, Cremorne was a significant venue for dance in London. Social dancing continued late into the night on the dancing platform with its elaborate Chinoiserie bandstand, while in the theatre leading choreographers, including Cormack, Milano, Menzelli and Holtzer, presented ballets which provided summer employment for leading dancers and members of the corps de ballet from Drury Lane and other theatres. In this lecture Jane Pritchard, Curator of Dance at the Theatre Museum, looked at this overlooked aspect of the Cremorne's history, placing it in the context of 19th century theatre dance.
|For information about the current lecture series click here.|
8th May 2008